Community Learning Services
As an alternative to traditional building-based day services, Ardmore offers Community Learning Services (CLS), for those who do not have the interest or the developed skills to join the workforce but want to be active in their community. CLS activities focus on developing the skills necessary to cultivate community connections, promote positive personal growth, meet and exceed educational goals, pursue employment options, and adjust socially for each individual.
Our approach is highly individualized and utilizes an Individual Plan (IP) to articulate a vision of how each person we support wants to live his or her life and the steps that he/she needs to meet those personal, self‐identified goals. This plan, which is actually a fluid document that is changed and modified, as needed, is developed using a variety of techniques including but not limited to: Person‐Centered Planning, MAPS, PATH, and Essential Lifestyle Planning (ELP).
To deliver exceptional results‐oriented outcomes, an Ardmore staff person is typically teamed with only one or two individuals—but never more than four—to guide and support their participation in community‐based activities throughout Prince George’s County and the surrounding metropolitan area.
CLS services are provided Monday–Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.—that’s 30-hours per week for 249 days a year. Supports and services may include assistance with:
- selecting, attending and participating in classes, seminars, workshops, or community-based recreational activities;
- selecting, attending and participating in volunteer opportunities or activities that would help to develop and improve work habits, work skills and work behavior;
- developing and enhancing social networking skills by participating in community–based civic clubs and other chosen organizations;
- creating an individualized weekly schedule of activities that are personally fulfilling; and
- accessing and using public transportation including Metro Access or other transportation systems.
Community Learning Services is a DDA (Developmental Disabilities Administration) funded program.